News and Events

Walmart and JB Hunt join customer list for Tesla’s new all-electric Semi truck

November 20th, 2017
Comments Off on Walmart and JB Hunt join customer list for Tesla’s new all-electric Semi truck
  • Walmart and JB Hunt join customer list for Tesla’s new all-electric Semi truck Walmart and JB Hunt join customer list for Tesla’s new all-electric Semi truck

    Walmart and JB Hunt join customer list for Tesla’s new all-electric Semi truck

TESLA
By Alexander Whiteman 20/11/2017, The LoadStar

Retail giant Walmart has made tentative steps towards electric trucking with a $5,000 per vehicle deposit for 15 of Tesla’s new Semi trucks.

Launched in California on Thursday, the Semi has yet to be priced – although one analyst told the BBC just the engine could cost $200,000, more than double the price of an entire diesel truck.

Walmart is not alone, or was the first to take a punt on the vehicle: Michigan-based grocery chain Meijer placed an order for four trucks almost immediately after the launch, Canadian grocery company Loblaw put down $75,000 for 25 and JB Hunt said it had made a reservation for “multiple” vehicles.

The US operator became the first haulier to publicly back the Semi, and CEO John Roberts said the vehicles would help its west coast intermodal and contract services divisions.

He added: “Reserving Tesla trucks marks an important step in our efforts to implement industry-changing technology. We believe electric trucks will be most beneficial on local and dray routes, and we look forward to utilising this new, sustainable technology.”

A Walmart spokesperson told the UK Financial Times that five of the 15 vehicles it ordered would be used in US operations, with the remaining 10 destined for its Canadian business.

“We have a long history of testing new technology – including alternative-fuel trucks – and we are excited to be among the first to pilot this new heavy-duty electric vehicle,” said the spokesperson.

“We believe we can learn how this technology performs within our supply chain, as well as how it could help us meet some of our long-term sustainability goals, such as lowering emissions.”

Tesla may have drawn the crowds, but it wasn’t the only truck […]

Read More

Air Cargo

November 9th, 2017
Comments Off on Air Cargo
  • Air Cargo Air Cargo

    Air Cargo

© Prayuth Gerabun

By Alex Lennane 09/11/2017

Forwarders and shippers are “feeling the pain” of a serious lack of air freight capacity in the market as rates soar on some lanes as high as $8.00 per kg.

There is “nowhere to turn”, said one Asia-Europe air freight forwarder, who reported a seven-to-ten-day backlog out of Asia.

“Rates are going sky high – and going up every weekend. It’s about $4 per kg as an average, and airlines are getting choosy over the type of freight they are accepting,” he said.

“Lots of people are suffering – I have had three retailers, who are not customers, contact me this week with fresh enquiries, as their incumbent forwarder has not able to accommodate them.”

The market seems to be facing a perfect storm – although, as one forwarder said wryly, “it isn’t too bad if you are a carrier”.

One of the biggest problems for general cargo is the current volume of ecommerce, which is daily, and higher-yield, according to one source.

“It’s a carrier’s market. Airlines are definitely becoming more selective with what they take and accept. E-commerce is a massive issue this year.”

There is also less capacity around to handle a “traditional” peak, following the withdrawal of freighter capacity by combination airlines in lacklustre years, as well as a move towards aircraft such as the cargo-unfriendly A380.

It has also been reported that scheduled airlines are pulling freighter flights to operate charters, booked up by big names for product launches. One source indicated that Coca-Cola alone operated 12 charters last week from Ireland to the US, while Samsung, Apple and Amazon are also thought to have booked significant amounts of capacity.

“The problem for shippers is that they are looking for alternatives, but […]

Read More

Cosco buys OOCL for $6.3bn to form the world’s third-largest liner company By Mike Wackett 10/07/2017

July 17th, 2017
Comments Off on Cosco buys OOCL for $6.3bn to form the world’s third-largest liner company By Mike Wackett 10/07/2017

Cosco has teamed with Chinese port operator Shanghai International Port Group (SIPG) to acquire Orient Overseas International Ltd (OOIL).

The new owners have pledged to keep the OOCL liner brand and its Hong Kong headquarters, and provided some assurances to worried staff that their jobs are safe for now.

The offer of HK$78.67 ($10.06) in cash per share represents a premium of about 30% on OOIL’s Friday closing price and values the company at around $6.3bn.

The Loadstar reported on 20 June that a takeover of the world’s seventh-biggest carrier by Cosco was “almost a done deal”, but this was dismissed by OOIL management as “fake news”.

Indeed, OOIL’s oft-repeated rebuttal that it was “not aware of, nor involved in any bid related to the company or OOCL”, appears to have been disingenuous.

However, behind-the-scenes negotiations appear to have been ongoing for months culminating in the Chinese state-owned carrier making the Tung family an offer they could not refuse.

Upon completion of the transaction, which remains subject to regulatory approval, as well as approval from Cosco Shipping Holdings shareholders, Cosco will hold a 90.1% stake in OOIL and SIPG 9.9%.

Combining Cosco’s container fleet with that of OOCL will see the merged carrier leapfrog CMA CGM to become the world’s third-largest container line with a market share of 11.5% for a total capacity of 2.42m teu, together with an orderbook of 640,000 teu.

After closing, Cosco and OOCL will “continue to operate under their separate brands” said a joint press release on Sunday. “Both companies are members of the Ocean Alliance and will continue to work together under this framework,” it said.

Andy Tung, chief executive of OOIL, whose family controls 68.7% of the […]

Read More

FDA FSMA Rule on FSVP , Foreign Supplier Verification Program.

July 11th, 2017
Comments Off on FDA FSMA Rule on FSVP , Foreign Supplier Verification Program.

The FDA FSMA rule on Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP) for Importers of Food for Humans and Animals is final, and the first compliance dates begin May 30, 2017.

The final rule requires that importers perform certain risk-based activities to verify that food imported into the United States has been produced in a manner that meets applicable U.S. safety standards. This rule is the product of a significant level of outreach by the FDA to industry, consumer groups, the agency’s federal, state, local, tribal and international regulatory counterparts, academia and other stakeholders. The FDA first proposed this rule in July 2013.

After input received during the comment period and during numerous engagements that included public meetings, webinars, and listening sessions, the FDA issued a supplemental notice of proposed rulemaking in September 2014. The proposed revisions included providing importers flexibility in determining appropriate verification measures based on food and supplier risks, while acknowledging the greater risk to public health posed by the most serious hazards in foods.

The final rule has elements of both the original and supplemental proposals, with the addition of greater flexibility in meeting certain requirements to better reflect modern supply and distribution chains. For example, importers can meet key FSVP obligations by relying on analyses, evaluations and activities performed by other entities in certain circumstances, as long as those importers review and assess the corresponding documentation.

Compliance Dates

The date by which importers must comply with the FSVP regulations is the latest of the following dates:
•18 months after publication of the final rule;
•For the importation of food from a supplier that is subject to the preventive controls or produce safety rules, six months after the foreign supplier is required to meet the relevant regulations;
•For an importer […]

Read More

February 2nd, 2017
Comments Off on

By Alex Lennane 01/02/2017

Amazon is to shift its Prime Air hub from Wilmington, Ohio, home of aircraft supplier ATSG, to Cincinnati, Kentucky.

The move, in which Amazon will invest $1.49bn into its new CVG hub in Hebron, has triggered further speculation on the e-tailer’s growing interest in logistics.

Amazon has agreed a 50-year lease on some 900 acres at the airport, similar to the size of the FedEx hub at Memphis, and expects to create more than 2,000 jobs when the site opens. A spokeswoman told The Loadstar that Amazon would “transition to utilising CVG this spring”.

Colin Sebastian, an analyst for Baird Equity Research, said in a note to clients: “We estimate a $400bn-plus market opportunity for Amazon in delivery, freight forwarding, and contract logistics,” according to Reuters.

In its latest nine-month figures, Amazon show shipping revenues up 42% year-on-year to $5.97bn – a number dwarfed however by its 42% rise in shipping costs to $10.5bn.

Reuters reported in December that Amazon was loading its own aircraft with big, lightweight boxes and giving the integrators, which are increasingly pricing by volume rather than weight, smaller items in a bid to cut shipping costs.

Amazon noted in its results it was seeking to “expand our fulfillment capacity … to meet anticipated shipment volumes from sales of our own products as well as sales by third parties for which we provide the fulfillment services”.

It added: “We seek to mitigate costs of shipping over time in part through achieving higher sales volumes, optimising placement of fulfillment centres, negotiating better terms with our suppliers, and achieving better operating efficiencies.”

Last week it was reported that Amazon had started shipping products via ocean freight, with figures showing it had acted as a freight forwarder […]

Read More

Yang Ming Reiterates Its Financial Recovery Plan

January 24th, 2017
Comments Off on Yang Ming Reiterates Its Financial Recovery Plan

Customer Advisory-Yang Ming reiterates its financial recovery plan

2017/01/23

Dear Valued Customers:

This advisory will update you further on Yang Ming’s most recent efforts to maintain competitiveness in the market.

Since the announcement of the Taiwanese government’s massive US$ 1.9 billion assistance program for the country’s shipping industry, Yang Ming has been proceeding with its own plans to improve on its competitiveness. Lead by its management team, Yang Ming has instituted a recapitalization plan aimed to provide immediate benefits to its balance sheets and improve on its liquidity.

In a December 22, 2016 shareholders’ meeting, the shareholders voted to approve a stock consolidation plan. This move was designed to pare down accumulated loss. Additionally, it was announced at the meeting that Yang Ming would receive injection of fresh capital from new investors. The first stage of this injection of capital will be from various government and private entities, including banks and financial institutions. Yang Ming will issue new stock to these investors, and with the new capital Yang Ming expects immediate benefits to its balance sheets. With this strong showing of government support, it is also expected to help enhance additional private sector investment in Yang Ming.

It is also anticipated that the recapitalization plan will result in a larger percentage of government owned and controlled interest in Yang Ming, well beyond the current approximate 33.3% held by the Ministry of Transportation and Communications of Taiwan(MOTC).

The management team of Yang Ming management has been instrumental in crafting and putting the recapitalization plan in motion. Yang Ming’s largest shareholder (MOTC) has also been a strong supporter of the recapitalization plan. The MOTC has been a solid advocate of the recapitalization plan and of Yang Ming before the […]

Read More

Maersk Agrees to Acquire Hamburg Sud

December 1st, 2016
Comments Off on Maersk Agrees to Acquire Hamburg Sud

Maersk Line and the Oetker Group have reached an agreement for Maersk Line to acquire Hamburg Süd, the German container shipping line.
Copenhagen, 1 December 2016

Maersk Line and the Oetker Group have reached an agreement for Maersk Line to acquire Hamburg Süd, the German container shipping line. The acquisition is subject to final agreement and regulatory approvals.
Hamburg Süd is the world’s seventh largest container shipping line and a leader in the North – South trades. The company operates 130 container vessels with a container capacity of 625,000 TEU (twenty-foot equivalent). It has 5,960 employees in more than 250 offices across the world and market its services through the Hamburg Süd, CCNI (based in Chile) and Aliança (based in Brazil) brands. In 2015, Hamburg Süd had a turnover of USD 6,726 million of which USD 6,261 million stems from its container line activities.
“Today is a new milestone in Maersk Line’s history. I am very pleased that we have reached an agreement with the Oetker Group to acquire Hamburg Süd. Hamburg Süd is a very well-run and highly respected company with strong brands, dedicated employees and loyal customers. Hamburg Süd complements Maersk Line and together we can offer our customers the best of two worlds, first of all in the North – South trades,” says Søren Skou, CEO of Maersk Line and the Maersk Group.
“We are proud to join the global market leader Maersk Line. While gaining access to a superior network and systems we will continue the Hamburg Süd brand and business model offering personalized solutions to our shippers and consignees. By joining forces both Maersk and Hamburg Süd will strengthen their product portfolio and cost position to the benefit of their customers,” […]

Read More

Japan’s Nyk, Mol and Kline merger plan will create sixth largest shipping line

October 31st, 2016
Comments Off on Japan’s Nyk, Mol and Kline merger plan will create sixth largest shipping line

By Mike Wackett 31/10/2016

Japan’s big three shipping groups – K Line, MOL and NYK – have agreed to spin-off their container shipping businesses into a new joint-venture company with a total capacity of 1.4m teu, which would rank as the sixth largest in the world and have a global market share of approximately 7%.

A joint statement released today said the deal was subject to shareholders’ agreement and regulatory approval with a planned establishment of the new company scheduled for 1 July 2017, and the target for business commencement set for 1 April 2018.

“The three Japanese companies have made efforts to cut cost and restructure their business, but there are limits to what can be accomplished individually,” explained the statement.

It added: “Under such circumstances, we have decided to integrate our container shipping business so that we can continue to deliver stably high quality and customer focused products to the market place.”

The three companies all operate portfolios of diversified enterprises that include: bulk shipping, car transportation, LNG, tankers, offshore, energy heavy lift and air cargo transportation.

It has been agreed that the shareholding of the container line joint venture will be: K Line 31%, MOL 31% and NYK 38%, with a total contribution of Y300bn, including fleets and share of terminals, but will exclude terminal operating business in Japan.

According to vesselsvalue.com, NYK owns the largest container fleet, with 68 vessels providing a total capacity 507,046 teu, valued at $2.33bn; followed MOL, with 35 ships for 307,449 teu, valued at $1.7bn, and third K Line, which owns 31 containerships with a capacity of 240,440 teu and a value of $1.2bn.

Including current chartered-in tonnage the total number of ships operated by the joint-ventrue would equal 256 vessels […]

Read More

FMC approves OCEAN Alliance

October 24th, 2016
Comments Off on FMC approves OCEAN Alliance

The Federal Maritime Commission said Friday it concluded its review of the proposed OCEAN Alliance, allowing the new ocean carrier alliance to take effect Monday, although it is not expected to commence operations until around April 2017.
By Chris Dupin |Monday, October 24, 2016 |American Shipper
The Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) said it has concluded its review of the proposed OCEAN Alliance, FMC Agreement No. 012426, allowing it to take effect Monday, although it is not expected to become operational until around April of next year.
The OCEAN Alliance members include COSCO Shipping, CMA CGM, Evergreen Marine and Orient Overseas Container Line Limited (OOCL).
The FMC said the members of the alliance are now permitted to share vessels; charter and exchange space on one other’s ships; and enter into cooperative working arrangements in international trade lanes between the United States and ports in Asia, Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Middle East, Canada, Central America and the Caribbean. The FMC does not regulate services that do not call the United States, but the Ocean Alliance is planning to serve the Asia-North Europe, Asia-Mediterranean, Asia-Middle East and Asia-Red Sea trades.
The FMC said it did an “exhaustive review” of the Ocean Alliance and “took advantage of the opportunity allowed for under the law to issue a request for additional information, which necessitates the filing of further documentation in support of the application.”
“The Commission worked very hard to balance the needs of not only the OCEAN Alliance applicants, but all other parties involved in the intermodal supply chain, with the ultimate goal of safeguarding competition in international oceanborne common carriage, with the American shipping public foremost […]

Read More

Shipping industry could face $35bn write-off, as NYK’s impairment loss is likely to trigger review by lines

October 18th, 2016
Comments Off on Shipping industry could face $35bn write-off, as NYK’s impairment loss is likely to trigger review by lines

By Alex Lennane 12/10/2016

Last week’s news that NYK Line took the largest-ever impairment loss in container shipping history will come as little surprise to a desperate industry. But according to Alphaliner, there is no likelihood of another bankruptcy “at this stage” – despite a potential $35bn industry-wide write-off.

The Japanese line will record an extraordinary loss of JPY100bn ($972m) on its vessel assets – almost a quarter of its total assets.

Outside of Japan, noted Alaphaliner, most other carriers have not made the same move, even though current market values for ships are so low. But the research company said this week that the top 18 carriers may need to write off a massive $35bn in total, assuming a 25% impairment loss.

“NYK’s move could trigger a fresh review of containership asset valuations that have fallen to historical lows,” it said.

While the Panamax sector has been most affected by falling asset values – by as much as 80% below the depreciated book value – other vessel types have seen a fall of between 30 and 60% of their book value.

So what does it mean for NYK? A fairly significant impact on its full year results, but other carriers, already expecting a poor year, “will be wary to take another blow” noted Alphaliner.

“Carriers’ financial health remains weak,” added the consultancy. “All of the main carriers who have released their financial results are in the ‘grey’ to ‘distressed’ zone” – although only Maersk and OOCL are in the former.

On the upside, however, given the calls for greater transparency into the lines’ finances, the report concludes that “the likelihood of another bankruptcy after the Hanjin fiasco is low at this stage, based on Alphaliner’s assessment”.

Read More